Hiring Students for Your Department (in SOLAR)

Advertising Jobs to Students

Stony Brook University departments use ZebraNet, the Career Center's Online Job Listing and Recruiting service to post jobs for students. Email Karen Clemente in the Career Center to request a ZebraNet account.

Once a student has been selected, and if they are going to be hired as a Student Assistant (using the Department's State funds) or as a Federal Work Study Student (using the student's FWS award), they must be hired using the Student Employment process in SOLAR. Hiring departments may designate a Student Employment Coordinator to do this. 

How to Becoming a Student Employment Coordinator

  • The Student Employment Coordinator's Supervisor must submit a request form to Human Resources Student Employment.
  • Once approved the Student Employment Coordinator will be invited to Training by DoIT.
  • The Student Employment Coordinator must read the Financial Aid Office's Student Employment Handbook (PDF) to familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures governing the Student Assistant and Federal Work Study programs.

Questions can be directed to Human Resource Services Student Employment/Payroll at 632-6388.

Learn How to Use the Student Payroll System in SOLAR

 Hiring Students 15-minute Interactive Tutorial (video)
   Print out the presentation
 Knowledge Base Articles:

Points to Remember about the Student Payroll System in SOLAR

  • The Job Codes for Student Assistant and Federal Work Study:
    • SA = 1971
    • FWS = 1721
  • If the Appoint link is not active when appointing a student into an assignment: 
    • After clearing a student, if "Appoint" is not a link, then you can' t appoint the student into that assignment.  Please review the messages on the bottom of the Clearance Panel page to determine what actions need to be taken to allow you to appoint the student. The system will not let you appoint a student to a Federal Work Study assignment if the student either doesn't have a Federal Work Study award or the award is exhausted.  Check the student's award by clicking View FWS Balance.
  • Updates I can make to assignments that are currently filled by students:
    • You can change timesheet authorizers and job skills/description.  To make these changes, click Department Assignments, enter you department ID, choose Active assignments and then click Update next the assignment you want to update.
  • Changing a student's hourly rate:
    • Contact HRS Student Payroll (2-6388) so they can make a the change.
  • Changing which department receives a student's paycheck:
    • This is the Mail Drop.  Contact HRS Student Payroll (2-6388) so they can make a the change.
  • Keeping a student on the payroll after his or her Federal Work Study award is exhausted:
    • You may terminate the current assignment by clicking on End Student Assignment.  Then create a new Student Assistant (job code 1971) assignment and appoint the student into the new one.
  • Student Assistant appointments are limited to 29 hours per week.

Content Last Updated: Wed, 03/25/2015 - 11:26am

Hosted By

Training and Development
(631) 632-3648

Applies To

Teaching Assistants (TA's)