Degree Works

Degree Works is an easy-to use degree audit tool for undergraduate students and their advisors. 

What Is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based advising tool and degree audit program. It allows a student and faculty advisor to view up-to-date information about a student’s progress towards graduation. The student and advisor can see which major, minor, specialization, and general education requirements have already been fulfilled and which ones still need to be completed. AP, transfer credit, and study abroad credit will all be visible as well.

Who Is Degree Works For?

Degree Works is for Stony Brook term-activated undergraduate students and their advisors. 

Accessing Degree Works

Sign into Degree Works using your Stony Brook NetID/NetID password:

  1. Go to
  2. Select Stony Brook from the drop-down menu
  3. Sign in with your NetID and NetID password
  4. Enter Student ID and tap Enter/Return on your keyboard

See Degree Works in Action

Frequently Asked Questions

Degree Works for is

  • Term-activated undergraduate students
  • Undergraduate student advisors

If you fall into one of those categories and receive an error when you try to sign in, submit a help ticket with Customer Engagement and Support.

Degree Audits are built based on degree requirements. The student’s matriculation term decides which bulletin requirements to use to display the degree progress.

 A Degree Audit in Degree Works is a review of completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree. The Degree Audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree (which are overall requirements for graduation), major (which are major specific course requirements), and fall through blocks which identifies courses that are: in progress, courses that do not pertain to the degree, excluded courses, and courses not successfully completed. The Degree and major/minor/specialization blocks work like a checklist with boxes that are automatically marked when a requirement is met or is in progress (courses currently registered for).

No. Degree Works is not a replacement for academic advising. It is a tool to assist both you and your advisor to make sure you stay on track towards your degree. However, information pertinent to your individual situation can best be addressed through regular contact with your general and major/minor academic advisors.

Degree Works provides students with access to their degree audit which lists information regarding their current program(s) of study including institutional requirements, general education requirements and major/minor requirements. When using Degree Works, students will be able to

  • See degree requirements for your major(s), minor(s), specialization(s)
  • See how completed courses and courses in progress apply to degree requirements
  • Identify courses needed to complete your degree.
  • View your grades and overall GPA
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take to graduate.
  • See how AP/transfer credits are used to satisfy degree requirements.

At least four times a semester. Please review your degree audit at least

  • Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester
  • After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would
  • After your grades for each semester are posted
  • Any time you make a change to your schedule

Yes. Like other processes that you perform through SOLAR, Degree Works is accessed through your secure log-in. However, your major/minor faculty and professional advisors, general academic advisors, and authorized staff will be able to view the information contained in your degree audit.

Yes. On the Degree Audit Worksheet, click on the ‘Class History’ link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at SUNY Stony Brook as well as any transfer credits you may have been granted. To print select Ctrl P on the keyboard.

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the “Not Successfully Completed” block on the bottom of your audit with a grade of “W”.

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. As changes are made to your record (e.g., grade changes, changes in major, course substitutions/waivers or classes added/dropped, etc.) you will be able to view in Degree Works the next day.

Please ask your academic advisor for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and steps to resolve them:

  • My major is wrong on my audit.
    If you have not officially changed your major, contact the department you are in to fill out the proper paperwork.
  • The requirements for my major are wrong.
    Look at the requirement term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records, this is the requirement term that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, contact your academic major/minor advisor to complete the paperwork to change the requirementexcem.
  • My transfer courses do not appear in the right place.
    If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact Academic & Transfer Advising Services, E-2360 Melville Library.
  • Classes are not applying in the right place.
    Degree Works uses courses in the order in which they are taken/added to the student record. In the event that two different courses could be used to fulfill a requirement, Degree Works will try to use the course that will satisfy other requirements as well (i.e. Upper Division, SBC/DEC, etc.) If you have further questions, please contact your academic advisor.

Exceptions (Substitutions and Waivers) require paperwork to be submitted for processing. Since Degree Works is updated nightly, it may take 24-48 hours before they appear on the audit. If you have any questions or concerns, contact your major/minor or general academic advisor.

Your Degree Audit is not an official transcript. It is laid out in blocks and degree requirements. It is an advising tool that you and your advisor use to monitor your progress towards your degree completion. You must request an official transcript through SOLAR or from the Registrar’s Office. An official transcript has a college seal and is printed on special transcript paper. An official transcript also lists all courses completed by term. To learn more about requesting a transcript, click on the following link:

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable on the Degree Audit.

No. Degree Works is only an advising tool. It can assist you in determining what courses you need to take. You will continue to register through SOLAR and Schedule Builder, a tool access via SOLAR.

These courses will appear on the Degree Audit once they have been processed. AP/transfer credits will not be counted in your GPA, but will be counted as attempted hours towards completing degree requirements.

If a student makes a change to his/her degree program (e.g., changing majors, dropping a class), there will be a 24-hour delay befor the change is reflected in Degree Works.

For More Information Contact

Customer Engagement and Support