Students can download one copy of Microsoft Office for either Mac or Windows at no charge from OnTheHub. The software can be installed one time as part of the University's Microsoft Campus Agreement.
After logging in, add your desired software version to the shopping cart and proceed to checkout. After completing the purchase you will receive a confirmation e-mail followed by an e-mail that includes the download link. Click the download link and save the software installer to your computer. Once the download completes you can install Microsoft Office. **Uninstall any trial versions of Office that may be on your computer before attempting to install the software.**
- For University-owned computers on West Campus, Microsoft Office is available at no additional cost. Please contact your departmental support technician or Client Support at (631) 632-9800 to request the software.
- For personally-owned computers, Microsoft Office can be purchased by West Campus employees for $9.95 under Microsoft's Software Assurance Home Use Program (HUP). Both Windows and Mac versions are available. Faculty and staff are allowed to purchase one of each product available from the HUP online store.
Orders for Office products through HUP must be placed through Microsoft's Home Use Program (HUP) website. To access the website:
- Go to http://hup.microsoft.com
- Select the country to which you want your order to be shipped to and choose the language for viewing the order website.
- Enter your Stony Brook University e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and insert the program code made available to you on Softweb. To find this code, scroll down Softweb's left side navigation and click the link under "Special Offers" called "Home Use Program (HUP) by Microsoft." You will need your NetID and NetID password to access Softweb.
**Please Note: The program code is assigned to Stony Brook for the sole purpose of accessing Microsoft's HUP website. Employees may not share this number with anyone outside the University.**
- Place your order online, and it will be shipped to the location you have chosen. Please note that a fulfillment fee will be charged to cover packaging, shipping and handling costs.
The Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office are available from Microsoft's Home Use Program (HUP). The Division of Information Technology recommends the 32-bit version of Office 2010 for all systems unless the person installing the software fully understands the differences between the two platforms. Read the Microsoft TechNet article about 64-bit editions of Office 2010.
To find out if your computer is a 32-bit or 64-bit system in Windows 7 or Vista go to the:
- Start menu
- Right-click on "Computer"
- Select "Properties"
- Under "System" it will tell you which system type you are running.
In Windows XP:
- Right-click on "My Computer"
- Select "Properties"
- If it does not specifically say 64-bit, then it's a 32-bit system.