Stony Brook University's license with Microsoft gives active students* and active west campus employees** rights to use the software, this includes 1) license, 2) media, and 3) software activation/keys. Managed machines (computers managed by the University) will already have Office installed. Depending on your status on campus, you can acquire Microsoft Office media and software activation/keys from Office 365 or OnTheHub.
Active students* and active west campus employees** can download Microsoft Office software from Office 365 (installation instructions for Windows and Mac). The software is activated through an active Stony Brook University Office 365 subscription. The license to use the software expires when the student or west campus employee is no longer active.
- Is a subscription service, and thus Office365-acquired applications are continually checking that your account is active
- Includes 1TB OneDrive storage
- Can be installed on multiple devices, even mobile
- Is always up-to-date
Active west campus employees** can purchase Microsoft Office downloads for a discounted rate from OnTheHub, and OnTheHub provides an activation key. The license to use the software expires when the west campus employee is no longer active.
The Microsoft Office software available from OnTheHub
- Is a one-time purchase (currently for $9.95 from OnTheHub for active west campus employees**)
- Does not include OneDrive storage, but users can link to their Stony Brook University Office 365 OneDrive (1 TB storage) or set up a free Office 365 account with 5GB of OneDrive storage
- Can only be installed on 1 computer (no apps for mobile devices)
- Does not include future updates
*Active students are those currently registered or eligible to register for classes at Stony Brook University; alumni are not active students
**Active west campus employees are those currently being paid a salary; emeritus and non-active adjuncts are not active employees